Botox is a drug made from a toxin produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. It's the same toxin that causes a life-threatening type of food poisoning called botulism. Doctors use it in small doses to treat health problems, including
- Temporary smoothing of facial wrinkles and improving your appearance
- Severe underarm sweating
- Cervical dystonia - a neurological disorder that causes severe neck and shoulder muscle contractions
- Blepharospasm - uncontrollable blinking
- Strabismus - misaligned eyes
- Chronic migraine
- Overactive bladder
Botox injections work by weakening or paralyzing certain muscles or by blocking certain nerves. The effects last about three to twelve months, depending on what you are treating. The most common side effects are pain, swelling, or bruising at the injection site. You could also have flu-like symptoms, headache, and upset stomach. Injections in the face may also cause temporary drooping eyelids. You should not use Botox if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Botox (National Library of Medicine)Botox is a drug made from a toxin produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. It's the same ... blinking Strabismus - misaligned eyes Chronic migraine Overactive bladder Botox injections work by weakening or paralyzing certain muscles ...
- Botox® ... Botox® Cosmetic ... OnabotulinumtoxinA injection (Botox, Botox Cosmetic) is used to treat a number of conditions.OnabotulinumtoxinA injection (Botox) is used ...
- IncobotulinumtoxinA injection is used to treat a number of conditions.IncobotulinumtoxinA injection is used to:treat chronic sialorrhea (ongoing drooling ...
- Can Botox Injections Relieve Arthritis Pain? (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research)Botox/Learn More ... Botox ... Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research
- Botulinum Toxin (Botox) for Facial Wrinkles (American Academy of Ophthalmology)Skin Aging/Treatments and Therapies ... Skin Aging ... Botox/Learn More ... Botox ... American Academy of Ophthalmology ... To reduce the appearance of wrinkles, some people choose ...
- Counterfeit Version of Botox Found in the United States (Food and Drug Administration)Counterfeit Version of Botox Found in the United States
- Strabismus: Botox Treatment (American Academy of Ophthalmology)
- Botulinum Toxin (Botox) (Logical Images)Botox/Learn More ... Botox
- Botox (American Osteopathic College of Dermatology)Botox/Learn More ... Botox
- Botulimum toxin (BTX) is a type of nerve blocker. When injected, BTX blocks nerve signals to muscles so they relax. BTX is the toxin ...