What is sarcoidosis?
Sarcoidosis is a condition in which groups of cells in your immune system form small, red, and swollen (inflamed) lumps. These lumps are called granulomas. They can form in any organ in the body. But they most commonly affect the lungs and lymph nodes in the chest. Over time, sarcoidosis can cause permanent scarring of organs.
What causes sarcoidosis?
Your immune system creates inflammation to help defend you against germs and sickness. But in sarcoidosis, inflammation goes off track. It causes the cells in your immune system to form granulomas. Studies suggest that this inflammation might be triggered by infections and certain substances in the environment such as insecticides and mold. And your genes may affect how your immune system reacts to a trigger.
- Sarcoidosis (National Library of Medicine)What is sarcoidosis? Sarcoidosis is a condition in which groups of cells in your immune system form small, red, and swollen (inflamed) lumps. ... and lymph nodes in the chest. Over time, sarcoidosis can cause permanent scarring of organs. What causes ...
- Sarcoidosis is a disease in which inflammation occurs in the lymph nodes, lungs, liver, eyes, skin, and/ ... The exact cause of sarcoidosis is unknown. What is known is that when a person has the disease, tiny clumps of abnormal tissue (granulomas) form ...
- Neurosarcoidosis is a form of sarcoidosis , in which inflammation occurs in the brain, spinal cord, and other areas of the nervous system.
- What Is Sarcoidosis? (National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute)Sarcoidosis,granulomas,Sarcoidosis lungs,Sarcoidosis fibrosis,Sarcoidosis fatigue,Sarcoidosis fever
- Learn about Sarcoidosis (American Lung Association)Sarcoidosis/Start Here ... Sarcoidosis ... American Lung Association ... Sarcoidosis is an inflammatory disease of unknown origin. The hallmark of sarcoidosis is the ...
- These lesions of sarcoidosis are located on the elbow and are red, elevated patches (plaques). The cause of sarcoidosis remains unknown.
- ... body and may be associated with tuberculosis (TB), sarcoidosis, coccidioidomycosis, systemic lupus erythematosis (SLE), fungal infections, or ...
- Cardiac Sarcoidosis (National Jewish Health) - PDFHeart Diseases/Specifics ... Heart Diseases ... Sarcoidosis/Specifics ... Sarcoidosis ... National Jewish Health ... PDF
- Sarcoidosis (American Academy of Family Physicians)Sarcoidosis/Start Here ... Sarcoidosis ... American Academy of Family Physicians
- ClinicalTrials.gov: Sarcoidosis (National Institutes of Health)Sarcoidosis/Clinical Trials ... Sarcoidosis