Organization Type: Archive, Library Address: 1000 Brady Street City: Davenport State Or Province: Iowa Zip / Postal Code: 52803-5287 Country: United States Telephone Number: 563-884-5893 Abstract: Palmer College of Chiropractic's Special Collections & Archives Department contains original source materials on chiropractic, osteopathy, homeopathy and other non-drug, non-surgical healing arts. Special Collections & Archives materials do not circulate. Access to the book, journal and most manuscript collections are open; College Archives materials access is restricted. Public service hours are 8:30 a. m. - 5:00 p.m, Monday - Friday; other times for access may be arranged by special appointment. SERVICES: Reference, photographic reproduction, digital reproduction and photocopy reproduction services are offered for a fee. Holdings: Monographs: 19th century - 200; 20th century - 7,100; 21st century - 200; Journals: 825 titles; Audiovisual: 7,000 items; Photographs/Prints: 3,000 items; Manuscripts: 1,500 linear feet; Archives: 2,000 linear feet. Holdings also include over 50 oral history interviews with pioneers and leaders in the chiropractic profession. Contact Name, Title: Daniel Smith, J. D., Special Services Librarian Contact Telephone Number: (563) 884-5894 Contact Email Address: daniel.smith@palmer.edu Web Site: http://library.palmer.edu/home Collection Subject Strengths: History of Alternative Medicine, History of Anatomy, History of Chiropractic[show all 5] Organization Type: Museum Address: 1000 Brady Street City: Davenport State Or Province: Iowa Zip / Postal Code: 52803 Country: United States Telephone Number: 563-884-5245 Abstract: The Palmer Foundation for Chiropractic History maintains a chiropractic museum throughout the building at 115 W. 7th Street. Other exhibits are located on the Palmer College campuses in Davenport; San Jose, California; and Port Orange, Florida. The museum is open from 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. weekdays and on the weekend by appointment with school is in session. The Foundation also maintains the B. J. and Mabel Palmer Residence located at 808 Brady Street in Davenport. The Residence is open for tours by appointment only. The Foundation collects artifacts relating to all aspects of chiropractic history. The Foundation works in conjunction with the Palmer Special Collections and Archives to answer historical reference questions. Collections can be made available for scholarly research. Holdings: Major collections include the Palmer Osteological collection and a collection of chiropractic adjusting tables. Chiropractic artifacts: 6,000+ items. Contact Name, Title: Alana Callender, Director Contact Telephone Number: (563) 884-5404 Contact Email Address: pfch@palmer.edu Web Site: http://www.palmer.edu/about-us/history/palmer-family-chiropractic-museum/ Collection Subject Strengths: History of Alternative Medicine, History of Chiropractic, History of Osteopathy[show all 4] Organization Type: Library Address: 3500 Camp Bowie Boulevard City: Fort Worth State Or Province: Texas Zip / Postal Code: 76107-2699 Country: United States Telephone Number: 817-735-2591 Fax Number: (817) 763-0325 Abstract: The Gibson D. Lewis Health Science Library is devoted to preserving the heritage of osteopathic medicine and to preserve the history of the UNTHSC through its Special Collections. Special Collections houses rare, valuable, and fragile materials in several historical collections. The Rare Book Room houses over 2,900 volumes providing historical continuity to the center’s research and instructional programs. A major focus is a comprehensive collection on osteopathic medicine, containing the complete works of its founder, Andrew Taylor Still and early pioneers of the profession as well as contemporary professional and popular works written by osteopathic physicians worldwide. Related works on orthopedic manipulation, manual medicine, and bone setting document the historical development of manipulation as a therapeutic modality. Historical perspective is provided through representative late 19th and early 20th century texts of American medicine, including examples of the many alternative medical theories and therapies that arose during that period, such as chiropractic, eclecticism, herbalism, homeopathy, hydrotherapy, mental healing, and naturopathy. Included are early medical imprints, reprints and facsimiles of classic early works, and biographies. The Archives documents the history of the UNTHSC and the osteopathic profession in Texas. Materials include institutional records, reports, publications, correspondence, photographs, slides, realia and the personal and professional papers of faculty, administrators, and alumni. The Oral History Collection preserves the memoirs of over 70 individuals important to the institution and to osteopathic medicine in Texas. In addition, the Archives houses three notable collections: • The William G. Sutherland Collection is a unique collection of the books private papers, publications, lectures, and memorabilia of William Garner Sutherland, DO (1983-1954), the discoverer of cranial osteopathy, and the correspondence, study guides, photographs and official records relating to the Sutherland Cranial Teaching Foundation. • The Texas Osteopathic Medicine Association Archives documents the history of the osteopathic profession in Texas from its founding in 1900 and contains meeting minutes, records, correspondence, membership directories and copies of the association’s journal from 1927 to 1989. • The Osteopathic Medical Center of Texas (OMCT) Collection contains selected records, photographs, and memorabilia from TCOM’s primary teaching facility and the largest osteopathic hospital in Texas. Materials date from its founding in 1946 until its closing in 2004. A Medical Memorabilia Collection includes portraits, diplomas, awards, and other personal artifacts of significant individuals, a 19th century patent medicine case, an early family doctor's black bag with its contents, and medical instruments, including several 19th and 20th century microscopes. SERVICES: Reference services provided by mail, telephone, and email. Materials must be used in the Library. Photocopies or scanned images of primary materials are provided depending on their condition. Secondary materials and photocopied or scanned primary materials are available on interlibrary loan. HOURS: Located on the third floor of the Library, materials are available by appointment or upon request, Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Closed on university and library holidays. Holdings: Approximately 3,000 volumes, including 490 volumes from the 17th to the 19th century, 325 serial volumes, 960 theses and dissertations, over 5,000 photographs, and 268 linear feet of institutional archives and organizational records. All books, theses, and serials are searchable through the library online catalog and entered in OCLC. Contact Name, Title: Kathy Broyles, Special Collections & Archives Librarian Contact Telephone Number: 817-735-2591 Contact Email Address: kathy.broyles@unthsc.edu Web Site: http://library.hsc.unt.edu Collection Subject Strengths: History of Alternative Medicine, History of Medicine, History of Osteopathy Organization Type: Library Address: 11 Hills Beach Road City: Biddeford State Or Province: Maine Zip / Postal Code: 04005 Country: United States Telephone Number: 207-602-2131 Fax Number: (207) 602-5922 Abstract: The New England Osteopathic Heritage Center (NEOHC) honors the osteopathic physicians who served their communities in New England for over a century and continue to do so. The Center, established in 2003, maintains a growing collection of personal and professional materials that preserve the unique history of the osteopathic medicine profession in the New England region: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island. Reference and research services are available by phone, email or onsite. Appointments are recommended. Reference: neohc@une.edu Holdings: The New England Osteopathic Heritage Center collects historical material representative of individual osteopathic physicians, organizations, hospitals, and legislative initiatives, including personal and professional documents, photographs and films, oral histories, medical artifacts, and memorabilia, building a greater understanding of the impact of osteopathic medicine on the advancement of health care in New England. Contact Name, Title: Gay Marks, Archivist Contact Telephone Number: (207) 602-2131 Contact Email Address: gmarks@une.edu Web Site: https://library.une.edu/neohc/ Collection Subject Strengths: History of Hospitals, History of Osteopathy Organization Type: Museum Address: 800 West Jefferson City: Kirksville State Or Province: Missouri Zip / Postal Code: 63501 Country: United States Telephone Number: 660-626-2359 Fax Number: (660) 626-2984 Abstract: Located on the campus of A.T. Still University/KCOM the Museum was founded in 1978, other family members, D.O.s and Museum supporters have donated many additional artifacts that reflect the ongoing history of the osteopathic profession. The research collections of the International Center for Osteopathic History also include many former holdings of the KCOM Library's special collections, for which the museum assumed responsibility in 1997. Researchers may work on-site in the reading room or write to the Museum with specific reference queries. (Due to limited staff, the Museum is unable to undertake extensive research projects on behalf of researchers). Researchers planning to use the reading room must call ahead of time for an appointment. SERVICES: The Museum also offers a variety of image reproduction services, including photocopies, photographic reproductions, and scanned images. The staff works closely with researchers to meet the specific format needs of different projects. Contact the Curator (museum@atsu.edu) for information and usages/research fees. Permission to examine materials does not include permission to publish them. Rights to publish must be requested in writing. Similarly, permission to use Museum collections, including publication, should not be construed as endorsement of the user's point of view or manner of presentation. Holdings: The collections of the Museum of Osteopathic Medicine (SM) include over 33,000 objects, photographs, documents, and books dating from the early 1800s to the present (bulk 1870-1940). The core of the collection consists of artifacts from A. T. Still's professional and private life, most of them donated by Dr. Still's daughter Blanche Laughlin and members of her family. We also hold several collections from some of the earlier names in Osteopathic History such as Dr. W. G. Sutherland, Dr. J. S. Denslow, Dr. I. Korr, Dr. William Johnston and others. Contact Name, Title: Jason Haxton, Director Contact Telephone Number: (660) 626-2359 Contact Email Address: jhaxton@atsu.edu Web Site: http://www.atsu.edu/museum Collection Subject Strengths: History of Osteopathy
Results 1-5 of about 9|