- MedlinePlus Health Information
- PubMed Citations
Your liver is the largest organ inside your body. It helps your body digest food, store energy, and remove poisons. Hepatitis is an inflammation of the liver. One type, hepatitis C, is caused by the hepatitis C virus (HCV). It usually spreads through contact with infected blood. It can also spread through sex with an infected person and from mother to baby during childbirth.
Most people who are infected with hepatitis C don't have any symptoms for years. If you do get symptoms, you may feel as if you have the flu. You may also have jaundice, a yellowing of skin and eyes, dark-colored urine, and pale bowel movements. A blood test can tell if you have it. Usually, hepatitis C does not get better by itself. The infection can last a lifetime and may lead to scarring of the liver or liver cancer. Medicines sometimes help, but side effects can be a problem. Serious cases may need a liver transplant. (Read more)
- HCV NS5A Up-Regulates COX-2 Expression via IL-8-Mediated Activation of the ERK/JNK MAPK Pathway.
- Benefit of Treatment Individualization in Patients with Chronic Hepatitis C Receiving Peginterferon Alfa-2a and Ribavirin in a Large Noninterventional Cohort Study.
- Repurposing of HDAC inhibitors toward anti-hepatitis C virus drug discovery: teaching an old dog new tricks.
- Significant Decreases in both Total and Unbound Lopinavir and Amprenavir Exposures during Co-administration: ACTG Protocol A5143/A5147s Results.
- Hepatitis C virus infection and kidney transplantation: newer options and a brighter future ahead?
Results 1 - 10 of 2,710 for hepatitis C
- ... is an inflammation of the liver. One type, hepatitis C, is caused by the hepatitis C virus (HCV). It usually spreads through contact with ... during childbirth. Most people who are infected with hepatitis C don't have any symptoms for years. If ...
- ||New York : Oxford University Press, 2013.|NLM ID: 101580413 [Book]
- ||Berlin ; Boston : Blackwell Wissenschafts-Verlag, 2001.|NLM ID: 101128856 [Book]
- ||[Bethesda, Md.] : Association of Academic Health Centers, c1999.|NLM ID: 101235254 [Visual Material]
- ||Princeton, N.J. : Films for the Humanities and Sciences, c1999.|NLM ID: 100908757 [Visual Material]
- Hepatitis C is a viral disease that leads to swelling (inflammation) of the liver. Other types of viral ... Hepatitis C infection is caused by the hepatitis C virus (HCV). You can catch hepatitis C if the ...
- Hepatitis A antibody test; Hepatitis B antibody test; Hepatitis C antibody test; Hepatitis D antibody test ... sexual contact or by sharing needles Antibodies to hepatitis C can usually be detected 4 - 10 weeks after ...
- Hepatitis C is a virus-caused liver inflammation which may cause jaundice, fever and cirrhosis. Persons who are most at risk for contracting and spreading hepatitis C are those who share needles for injecting drugs ...
- ... with other medications to treat chronic (long-term) hepatitis C infection (swelling of the liver caused by a ... time. Peginterferon works by decreasing the amount of hepatitis C virus (HCV) or hepatitis B virus (HBV) in ...
- ... ribavirin (a medication) to treat chronic (long-term) hepatitis C infection (swelling of the liver caused by a ... alpha-2b works by decreasing the amount of hepatitis C virus (HCV) in the body. Peginterferon alfa-2b ...